Friday, May 21, 2010

How can I get a computer programming job if I have no real-world experience?

I live in NYC and graduated in 2004 with a bachelors degree in computer science. Rather than go immediately into the field, I worked the last few years as a bartender. Now I would like an entry level job at a tech firm, but I have nothing to put on my resume except service industry experience. I consider myself to have an "above average" skill set when it comes to programming and IT issues - but I'm no expert. What steps should I take to land myself a more rewarding career?

How can I get a computer programming job if I have no real-world experience?
It's always hard to get a job in a field with no experience. When I graduated with a computer programming degree, I did informational interviews with computer programmers and IT managers, went to local colleges and checked out their jobs boards, went to job fairs talked with local college IT departments for leads, checked the paper and last time I looked for an IT teaching job, I checked the web sites for companies that I was interested in to see if they had any job openings. I also told everyone I met what job I was looking for.





My first IT job I got by going to a college job board and contacting a company who had posted their job openings-they were looking for new hires they could "mold". Another IT job I got by talking to a friend of a friend who I'd mentioned that I wanted an IT job, but didn't really care what it was..calIed his manager and ended up working at a Fortune 500 company. The first IT teaching job I got since I again had a friend of a friend tell me about the right person to talk to to get a part-time job, after I'd already sent my application and resume to their HR department and had been ignored...I got the job I have now just by going to the college web site and applying for the job...a lot of time it's not what you know, but who you know, too.





Good luck!
Reply:You could check this out


http://www.pcworkathome.in/onlinefreelan...


No comments:

Post a Comment