Friday, May 21, 2010

What are the best ways to learn more about programming/technology?

I want to be prepared for my job that starts in 6 months. I'm looking for advice on certifications I should get or just general ways that I can start expanding my knowledge so I can be successful.





My job is as a IT consultant. My major is computer science and engineering and most of my work will revolve around programming and consulting.





I know the obvious things like read magazines and books, but are there any good magazines out there that I should be subscribed to?





Or maybe websites I should check out?

What are the best ways to learn more about programming/technology?
If you are going to be developing software, from a magazine standpoint I would say subscribe to Dr. Dobbs and a trade magazine from the language you will be developing in.





Second, to brush up on your language skill get a book on algorithms and implement these programs and trace them. It is ok if the algorithm book doesn't match the language you are using because you will even learn a lot that way.





Find a forum on the language you will be using and start reading back posts. There will be stuff in there that won't be in a book or magazine.





Find a programming competition and implement that (you don't have to compete).
Reply:Just surf the net.





I would check out python sites, perl sites, c++/c sites, java sites, html sites, php sites. Get some books too.





For magazines check out some real programming mags like a linux or windows programming mag.


No comments:

Post a Comment